- Standard residential service allows for a maximum of three containers (bag, box, or can) of no more than 32 gallons or 60 pounds each. NOTE: Due to the migration to automated service, as of 1/1/11 this option is no longer offered for new customers. Our existing customer base will be migrated to roll cart service area by area.
- Roll Cart service allows for 64 or 96 gallon roll carts which can be rented from Alaska Waste. Customer-owned roll carts must be compatible with the lifting mechanisms on the collection truck
- Each additional bag or box will be picked up and subject to an extra charge. Bags must be no larger than 32 gallons, able to fit in the roll cart and weigh 50 lbs or less. Carts with the lid not completely closed may be subject to additional refuse charges.
- Large miscellaneous items (couches, desks, etc.) can be scheduled for pick-up on regular service days with a call or an e-mail to Alaska Waste at www.alaskawaste.com before the service day. Charges will vary depending on the item. Large items are defined as “unable to fit into a roll cart”.
Pick-up Times and Placement:
- Refuse must be placed at the curbside by 6:00 am to ensure pick-up since route times vary.
- Refuse must be placed no more than five feet from the drivable roadway on the day of service, unobstructed by vehicles and other obstacles such as ditches or snow piles.
- Roll carts should be placed at the curbside with the lid completely closed and the handle toward the house. Carts without completely closed lids may be subject to extra refuse charges.
- Roll carts placed for service must be 3 feet from all objects or obstacles including other roll carts.
- Collection in your area may occur earlier than usual on holidays due to early closure of the Transfer Station.
- There is no collection service on Christmas and New Year’s Day. During these holiday weeks, service will be delayed by one day for all remaining collection days falling after the holiday.
- Please be mindful that your mail carrier needs access to the mailbox on collection day. Avoid placing containers out in a manner that might interfere with their access.
- Cancellation of service should be requested by contacting Alaska Waste at www.alaskawaste.com or 563-3717.
- Suspension or discontinuation of service will occur as a result of nonpayment.
- If account is stopped for non-payment and Alaska Waste attempts to retrieve cart a non refundable operational handling fee of $75 will be charged. A resume fee will be assessed when an account which was stopped for non-payment is resumed.
- Due to insurance and tariff restrictions, overweight containers cannot be picked up and will not be serviced until safety concerns have been resolved.
- Non-roll cart refuse containers must not exceed 32 gallons or 60 lbs. NOTE: Due to the migration to automated service, as of 1/1/11 this option is no longer offered for new customers. Our existing customer base will be migrated to roll cart service area by area.
- Roll cart must not exceed 150 lbs.
- Needles, rocks, dirt, oil, batteries, paint, freezers, refrigerators, fluorescent light bulbs and other hazardous or caustic materials are not accepted by Alaska Waste residential curbside service. Guidelines for proper disposal of these items can be found at www.muni.org/Departments/SWS/HowDoI/Pages/dispose.aspx or by calling MOA Solid Waste Services at 343-6252.
- Untreated medical waste is strictly prohibited for disposal. Please contact the Providence Alaska Medical Center at 212-3631.
- Glass must be labeled and double wrapped (preferably with paper and plastic bags) when placed at the curbside as extra refuse.
- Any animal or fish waste must be securely double-bagged and no more than ten pounds will be accepted in any one container per week.
- Pick-up in designated bear areas will be delayed until 8:00 am from May 1st to October 31st. Garbage is a natural bear attractant, and bear activity can be reduced by placing garbage out on the morning of collection. Please visit our website at www.alaskawaste.com for more information on bear areas.
- Invoices can now be viewed and paid online at www.alaskawaste.com.
- Easy Pay applications are available online at www.alaskawaste.com.
- Residential service is billed in advance.
- Extra refuse is billed on the invoice after service has been provided.
Unreturned Alaska Waste Containers:
- Alaska Waste will make one attempt to retrieve our roll cart upon cancellation of account. It is the customer’s responsibility to have the roll cart available for retrieval on regular pickup day. If cart is not available for retrieval a non refundable operational handling fee of $75 will be charged.
- Unreturned roll cart on cancelled accounts may be assessed a re-stocking fee of $125.00 per regular roll cart and $300.00 per bear-resistant roll cart.