Juneau Residential Services
Trash & Recycling Collection
Alaska Waste offers weekly residential trash collection service. Customers may choose between 48 or 96 gallon roll cart for trash service. Additional trash may be scheduled for collection at an additional rate.
Residential Recycling - Biweekly
Alaska Waste offers residential recycling every other week.
- Customers receive a 96 or 48 gallon recycling cart.
- On collection day place cart at curb by 6AM.
- Place recycling cart within 5 feet of the curb.
- Place recycling cart 3 feet away from mailboxes, cars, etc.
- Plastic bags are not allowed in the cart.
- Please do not bag or box recyclables.
- Only place acceptable recycling items in cart.
Acceptable Items for Recycling Cart
- Clean paper and cardboard
- Cardboard, flattened (limit 2x3 feet)
- Catalogs, phone books, paperback books
- Mail (window envelopes ok)
- Newspapers, inserts, magazines
- Paper bags and food boxes
- Clean paper food containers
- Clean paper cups, milk & juice boxes
- Frozen food boxes (rinse clean)
- No caps or lids, no food waste
- Clean metal
- Aluminum and tin cans
- Please empty and rinse cans
- Clean plastic containers
- Plastic bottles, jars, jugs and tubs
- Plastics #1 through #7
- No caps or lids
- No plastic bags
Please read through these guidelines and contact us if you have any questions.
- Residential service is billed in advance.
- Extra refuse is billed on the invoice after service has been provided.
- Click the Pay Your Bill button to view invoices and payment options.
- Please notify us when you have a change in address, phone number or service needs.
- Trash roll carts sizes: 48 or 96 gallon.
- Bear resistant roll cart size: 96 gallon.
- Recycling roll cart size: 48 or 96 gallon.
- Only place acceptable items out for trash or recycling collection.
- Due to safety and tariff restrictions, roll carts cannot exceed 150 pounds.
- Do not place rocks, dirt, hazardous waste or ashes (hot or cold) in any Alaska Waste container.
- Glass must be labeled and double wrapped (preferably with paper and plastic bags) when placed at the curbside as extra refuse.
- Any animal or fish waste must be securely double-bagged. A maximum quantity of ten pounds will be accepted in any one container per week.
- Carts with the lid not completely closed may be subject to additional refuse charges.
- Odd sized trash must be contained or bundled and measure less than 4 feet in length or width or height and weigh no more than 60 pounds.
- Each additional bag or box set beside the cart must not exceed 32 gallons in size or weigh more than 50 pounds. These are subject to an extra charge.
- Large and odd sized items are able to be removed, but must be scheduled in advance. Please contact your Alaska Waste office to discuss the scheduling and pricing for the item(s) you want picked up.
Pick-Up Times and Placement
- Roll cart lids must be closed, place carts so handles face your house.
- Place cart within 5 feet of the drivale roadway on the day of service, unobstructed by vehicles and other obstacles such as ditches or snow piles. Avoid placing carts where they interfere with postal collection.
- Roll carts must be placed at the curb by 6AM on the scheduled collection day. Per the CBJ ordinance, carts cannot be placed on the curb before 4AM on collection day to avoid fines.
- Times may vary. Please have your cart available for service between the hours of 6AM and 6PM on your collection day.
- Roll carts placed for service must be 3 feet from all objects or obstacles including other roll carts.
- If your house number is not clearly visible from the road, label the cart(s) with your street address.
- Please do not move your roll cart across the street for service, unless otherwise authorized by Alaska Waste.
How to Cancel Service
- To cancel service, please contact your local Alaska Waste office at least 1 week prior to the desired last day of service.
- Set cart out on the date agreed to during cancellation process by 6AM to guarantee removal.
Service Suspended for Non-Payment
- Service will be suspended or discontinued due to non-payment.
- A service resume fee and a cart re-delivery fee will be assessed when an account which was stopped for non-payment is resumed.
- Alaska Waste is not licensed to haul hazardous waste.
- Residents are responsible for the items they place out for Alaska Waste collection.
- Please read Disposal Guidelines published by Alaska Division of Environmental Health - Solid Waste Program.
- Please contact your local Alaska Waste office if you are not sure if an item is acceptable for collection by Alaska Waste.