Alaska Waste is committed to working closely with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) to help limit the occurrences of bears in trash. Many areas across the state that Alaska Waste provides solid waste and recycling services have been identified as “high risk” for trash related bear encounters by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
As a precaution and to ensure public safety, Alaska Waste has delayed the refuse start time until 8AM in these areas. This will allow ample time in the morning for our customers to set out their trash.
Alaska Waste offers a limited number of bear resistant 96 gallon carts for customers in high risk bear areas.
- Securely store trash inside garage, building, reinforced shed or enclosure.
- Do not put your trash out on the curb until the morning of pick-up.
For all our customers who are not in an area that has been identified as “high risk” for bear activity, please continue to set your trash out by 6:00 a.m. to ensure prompt collection of your waste. Please do not leave your garbage out overnight.
For more information regarding bear activity in your area, or to report bear activity, please contact the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
- Call 907-267-2257
- Visit the ADF&G website for helpful bear tips to learn how to live amicably with bears
96 Gallon Bear Resistant Cart
Safe Neighborhoods, Wild Bears
- Alaska Waste
- Alaska Center for the Environment
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Audubon Alaska
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- Municipality of Anchorage and the Anchorage Bear Committee.
Funding provided by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Municipality of Anchorage.